THE DFW MAP RALLY IS BACK!
The Texas Region of the Sports Car Club of America invites you to a fun drive in the country in Wise County, Texas. We give you a map with several waypoints and you visit these specific locations on the map. With this year’s theme, locations to be visited are all cemeteries.
Make wise choices or face grave consequences
You determine your route and drive to each location, which will be verified by the Richta GPS smartphone app. The team who visits all the required landmarks in the shortest distance will win, and the winners will receive awards. It is not a speed or racing contest. Scores are automatically reported to the Rallymaster. No score sheet to fill out. We will send you information on it after you pre-register. Also, we plan to conduct a
via Zoom and/or post a
with further guidance to download the app and help prepare for the rally. We encourage you to attend the School or view the video. Details to follow.
In light of the current COVID-19 situation, every attempt will be made to minimize the risks of exposure to the virus. New processes and procedures have been developed and will be put into place to support this objective. You should not have to get out of your car. All of the registration materials and rally materials needed for the event will be available online or sent to you via email, and can be completed and returned ahead of the event or, if applicable, you can print them and bring them with you. In some cases (e.g., Minor Waivers that have not been notarized) we will witness you signing the completed form
We will also send you the General Instructions and Route Instructions to print out at home.
In light of the current COVID-19 situation, every attempt will be made to minimize the risks of exposure to the virus. If you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, masks are no longer required indoors or outdoors. If you are not vaccinated, you may still attend and participate in this SCCA event. However, in line with the latest CDC guidelines, it is recommended that you continue to wear a mask indoors and when near others. Certain registration and rally materials needed for the event will be available online or sent to you via email, and can be completed and returned ahead of the event or, if applicable, you can print them and bring them with you. We will also send you the General Instructions and Odometer Check Instructions to print out at home.
Ultimately, it is your responsibility to assess the risk to you, comply with applicable COVID-19 guidelines and make the decision on whether or not to participate.
- Rally Day: Saturday, August 28, 2021
- Registration and Starting Place: The Horny Toad Café & Bar, 5812 I-35, Denton, TX 76207 (in Stonehill Center).
- Registration opens at 9:30 am on Rally Day. Registration will close at 10:00 am (times may be adjusted).
- After registration, you will receive your instructions for conducting an odometer calibration run (in order to normalize all of the entrants’ odometers), which ends at Catfish O’Harlies (see below)
- At the end of the odo check, you will receive your maps and instructions for locating fifteen or so locations in Wise County that you have to visit.
- Take 30 minutes to determine your route from maps provided. No GPS/electronic aids permitted here.
- Cars leave the official start whenever you are ready, in any order (but at 1 minute intervals). First car out about 11:00 am.
- Length: as short as you can make it in miles, probably about 3½ hours in time
- Finish: Catfish O’Harlies, 2019 US-287, Decatur, TX 76234.
- Rally type: Shortest distance rally. SCCA calls this a GTA (Games, Tours, Adventures) rally.
- Route: You choose your route from maps provided. You may use any public road you wish in your attempt to log the shortest distance on your odometer. Depending on your chosen route, you may encounter stretches of unpaved road, though we think that the shortest-distance route will be all paved.
- Classes: First-timer, Novice (3 rally trophies or less), General, and Master (this is an optional class: no trophies). GPS and other electronic aids welcome in any class once you’re on the road.
At least two people (a driver and a navigator) are required in each car; contact
if you have a minor child (<18) in the car, as a form will need to be signed
Vehicles: Sports Cars, Family Cars, Classic Cars, Antiques, Hot Rods, Cruisers, Convertibles, anything with 4 wheels that’s street legal is OK in this Rally. Note: speed is
- Rally entry fee: regular SCCA Members $25.00; Weekend Members $35 (includes membership fee). A $5.00 late fee will be assessed to anyone not preregistered on MotorsportReg.com.
- Rally Master: John Poulos.
Registrants will be emailed the rally rules ahead of the event.
August 28, Details to be posted soon.
Here’s what Rich Beattie wrote about the 2019 ONTO Fall National GTA Rally. “The General Instructions described many things like numbered route instruction, main road determinants, and course following rules that made it more of an untimed National Course Rally… Winner Bruce Gezon described it as really hard, but nevertheless the best Course Rally he had run that year.” Jerry White described the traps as “just plain fun.” If you email me at email@example.com, I will send you the Generals, RI’s and detailed descriptions of the traps and loops.
We’re going to do it again. With a course-following GTA and a Course Rally. On some of the best rally roads around, mostly in Collin County. And Texas is usually beautiful in October.
Hello to our old friend, the RoadRally. SCCA’s oldest activity is making a comeback, and there are plenty of opportunities for you to give it a shot in 2020…
2021 Rally Events / Results
|February 6||Completed||Sweetheart Ride Road Rally Orientation / Rally School|
|February 28, Date Changed||Overall Results|
|Sweetheart Ride Road Rally|
|April 25||Completed||TSD Rally School|
|May 1||Overall Results|
|Tick Tock Rally|
|August 28||DFW Shortest Distance Map Rally|
|postponed||Targa Road Rally (part of TT / RoadRally / Autocross Targa weekend)
|October 23||ONTO Fall National Course Rally|
|October 23||ONTO Fall National GTA Rally|
|October 24||Aftershock National Tour Rally|
2020 Rally Events / Results
|February 9||Results||Sweetheart Ride Road Rally|
|TBD||DFW Map Rally|
|October 10||Completed||Rally School|
|October 17||Overall Results|
|October Cancelled||ONTO Fall Rally (National Course/GTA/Tour event March 27/28 2021)|
|October 31 Cancelled||Targa Road Rally|